>> www.joshburnham.me

This blog has been moved from this .blogspot address to another blogging platform. You can feel free to click around and read what's here, but for any new content, please check www.JoshBurnham.me.

4.07.2009

Two Steps to Making You a Better Communicator

Some time ago I was doing some reading and thinking through speaking techniques and trying to improve my game when it comes to public speaking and teaching.

For one, I read Communicating for a Change by Andy Stanley. I loved 7 Practices of Effective Ministry and Comm. for a Change was similar (not as good, but still very helpful). I would definitely recommend it for anybody looking to improve their approach to "up-front, speech giving" type of teaching in a ministry setting. Anyway... enough jibber-jabber. Here's the meat...

For me, there were two big take aways:
1. Teach one thing. Say it. Say it well. And quit when you're done.
2. In the book there's a suggested "formula" for speaking: Me-We-God-You-We. I'll put it this way: (discover point of connection between audience & speaker)-(define 'problem')-(introduce God's principle)-(explain how this principle affects 'problem')-(help envision the outcome of specific application steps)

Technorati tags: , ,


0 comments:







Post a Comment