>> www.joshburnham.me

This blog has been moved from this .blogspot address to another blogging platform. You can feel free to click around and read what's here, but for any new content, please check www.JoshBurnham.me.

6.08.2009

It's Not ONLY About What You Say

Sunday night was one of those nights that happens sometimes.

I was teaching on not having a circumstantial faith, a faith based on what we see or feel at the moment, but rather a faith based in Jesus. I talked about two reasons why people would turn away from faith, for a moment or for good. One, because of guilt of doing wrong - sometimes it's easier to change what we believe is wrong than to change our behaviors that are wrong. Or two, unexplained tragedy - how does a good God let bad stuff like _____ happen? or why God? I skimmed through the story of Joseph (Gen37 to Gen50) being thrown in a well, sold into slavery, betrayed in Potipher's house, thrown in jail, and eventually saving Egypt and his family from a famine. I even tied it together/summed it up with a phrase: faith on anything other than Jesus is on a fragile foundation. I knew what I was talking about.

And that's the thing...

I had given good thought to what I wanted to say. I just didn't give enough thought to how I wanted to say it. And that's an important part of teaching, the presentation. (Note: Thinking back, it may not have been as bad as I remember it, but I just didn't feel like it connected.)

At a restaurant, you can typically get dead chicken, dead cow, or dead fish. At a drive through, it's $5. At a five star restaurant, it's $45. It's still dead chicken, dead cow, or dead fish. The difference is what it looks like on the plate; the presentation.

Last night I served microwaved hamburgers. I want to serve more Ribeye hot off the grill.

Technorati tags:


0 comments:







Post a Comment