>> www.joshburnham.me

This blog has been moved from this .blogspot address to another blogging platform. You can feel free to click around and read what's here, but for any new content, please check www.JoshBurnham.me.

4.04.2007

Feeding on what?

I came home today for just a little bit before we went out to eat at El Sombrero (the finest in Mexican cuisine that can be found in Statesboro, Georgia). I had skipped lunch, so I was really hungry. We had some hotdogs left from an event over the weekend, so I threw one in the microwave for a little snack... just to get me through to supper. That and a glass of grape juice. We also had some brownies (left over from the same event), and they looked really good, so I ate four of them. And a glass of milk. Really, it was like two and a half glasses of milk - cause it makes the brownies taste that much better. mmmm... And I ate a chocolate chip cookie, too.

So, my snack just turned into a binge that would make Richard Simmons cry and invite me to his next taping of "Sweatin' to the Oldies VII" (note: first ever Richard Simmons reference for this blog. mark this date in history.). And fifteen minutes later, we were out the door for El Som (as it's affectionately known to the locals - because we're too lazy for those last two syllables - and because it gives it a little code name you only know if you're in - so call it El Som and sound like you're in). So then I'm eating dinner w/ friends at El Som, and I'm so full by the end of the meal...

And it's like I filled up on a hotdog and brownies when I could have much more enjoyed the flavorful delights of my Quesedilla Roja with beans.

I think I've done the same thing lately spiritually. I fill my time with so much other stuff, some of it even good stuff (ok, so some of it has been NCAA07's "Campus Legend", but some of it has been good stuff). But I haven't put in my regularly disciplined time with God. I've skimmed and piddled, but haven't been diving in like I feel I should, and like I want. I'm sure others experience a similar season. Our time goes somewhere, we're doing something. But we're too full of the wrong stuff. We don't devote time to those areas of life we should.

I recognize my lack of quality time with God when I skip posting here for lack of questions and insight. I recognize my lack of quality time with God when I hear myself parroting just what I've heard from those around me rather than hearing from God for myself. I recognize my lack of quality time with God when my passion for Christ begins lagging behind.

So, I need to make some changes to my diet (and I'm not just talking about the empty calories from four brownies and a cookie). I've been spiritually anorexic lately, and it's time I start feasting again.

"Remember how the LORD your God led you all the way in the desert these forty years, to humble you and to test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands. He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your fathers had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD." -Deut.8:2,3 (and really, probably all of chapter 8)

Technorati tags: , ,


0 comments:







Post a Comment