>> www.joshburnham.me

This blog has been moved from this .blogspot address to another blogging platform. You can feel free to click around and read what's here, but for any new content, please check www.JoshBurnham.me.

9.22.2005

Where do I start?

***UPDATE***
This weblog began as a place to record my questions and musings. While it will still serve in that capacity, a great number of the posts will not be that specific or narrow in scope. Thus, the name change. The Lid will simply be an open forum for the thoughts that float through my head, where I open up and let you see what's on my mind - like it or not, questions or thoughts or just what I've been up too. So, there's the update... Now, back to your regularly scheduled program.
***UPDATE***

I’m borrowing the title from a good book by Michael Yaconelli, “Dangerous Wonder: The Adventure of Childlike Faith”. In the book where he explores some ideas of how we are called to live out our faith in Jesus, he says this:

"Dangerous WonderThere are no “wrong” questions. When people are hungry for God, every question is ‘right.’ Curiosity is the unknown fruit of the Spirit, the stealthy expression of God’s presence. Faith opens our eyes and brings us face-to-face with a new reality – a reality rich with new vistas of knowing. Thomas was willing to defy a roomful of disciples with his bold curiosity. Daring and unafraid, he stood up to his peers and refused to base his relationship with Jesus on the displeasure of others. What stopped Thomas in his tracks was the willingness of Jesus to honor his risky curiosity. Jesus had already appeared to the disciples once, but He came back a week later and spoke directly to Thomas and told Thomas to touch Him so Thomas’s questioning could stop and his believing could begin. Curiosity is welcome in the presence of Jesus even when it is not welcome anywhere else."

He also makes the comment that “the greatest enemy of Christianity may be people who say they believe in Jesus but who are no longer astonished and amazed.”

Rob Bell writing about questions in his book Velvet Elvis put it this way:

“Central to the Christian experience is the art of questioning God. Not beligerent, arrogant questions that have no respect for our maker, but naked, honest, vulnerable, raw questions, arising out of the awe that comes from engaging the living God. … The great Abraham Joshua Heschel once said, ‘I did not ask for success, I asked for wonder.’ … The very nature of orthodox Christian faith is that we never come to the end. It begs for more. More discussion, more inquiry, more debate, more questions.”

I am valuing more and more the importance of wonder, curiosity, and questions … I hope this space will allow me to think out loud about some stuff, and I invite you to jump in and come along. Respond or not, but take the thoughts with you and wonder for yourself.

Technorati tags: , , ,


0 comments:







Post a Comment